Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) updated match protocol
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control (BC CDC) have confirmed multiple cases in British Columbia. The PHAC and BC CDC have assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 and continue to present the risk as LOW.
All Volleyball BC tournaments and events will take place as scheduled.
Updated match protocol:
Effective immediately, Volleyball BC will be instituting a “no contact” policy during Volleyball BC events. Pre and post-match protocols will be temporarily amended with the following:
- At the beginning of the match, teams will not meet at the net to wish each other good luck and shake hands
- At the conclusion of the match, teams will not meet at the net to shake hands with the opposing team
- At the conclusion of the match, teams will not shake hands with the officials
Preventing further spread:
In order to assist with containing the spread of the Novel coronavirus, we encourage the following:
- Regularly washing your hands
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water
- Maintain social distancing
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Practice respiratory hygiene
- Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- If you have a fever, cough and
difficulty breathing, seek medical care early
- Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
Source: World Health Organization. (2020). “Basic protective measures against the new coronavirus.” Retrieved from https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public.
For up to date information on the Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) you can use the following links:
In the event that participants become diagnosed with the Novel coronavirus and have attended a Volleyball BC event within 21 days of symptoms showing, we kindly ask that you notify Volleyball BC to allow for the most up-to-date and accurate information to be provided to the health authorities.
We will continue to monitor the information on COVID-19 and will contact you with any updates as they occur.
For questions or concerns surrounding this policy, or to report a diagnosis, please contact Alex Pappas at [email protected].