Volleyball BC hosted our fifth annual Hall of Fame and Excellence Awards Banquet on Feb. 2 at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown. Over 150 members of our community were in attendance to remember past and present volleyball greats.
Memorable moments from this year’s Hall of Fame speeches included:
- Helen Hunt sharing memories and thanking key supporters from her 15 years of playing volleyball
- Larry Plenert recalling impressive achievements from his time on the Canadian Men’s National Team
- Art Willms paying tribute to his late wife and describing their move to the mecca of women’s volleyball
- Ray Myrtle describing his developments and accomplishments in the sport, including his experiences in Japan
- Patty Schlafen sharing about her transition from play to coach and the numerous teams she enjoyed coaching
- Jane Kublick telling the story of being the first female official that one player ever saw
- The 1971 Vancouver Calonas gathering to remember their dynasty’s magical season of accolades
To watch full acceptance speeches from the 2019 Hall of Fame inductees, visit our website’s dedicated Hall of Fame page.
Congratulations to all of our latest Hall of Fame inductees, as well as our Excellence Awards winners:
- Athlete Excellence Award: Michael Dowhaniuk
- Rising Star Coaching Award: Juliana Penner
- Female High School Coach of the Year: Jacquie Chase
- Male High School Coach of the Year: Aaron Lock
- Female Club Coach of the Year: Sara Corneil
- Male Club Coach of the Year: Craig Moore
- Rookie Official of the Year: Kierra Diggle
- Official of the Year: Bruce McElroy
- Vale Savege Referee Development Award: Rick Cross
- Ed Neufeld Memorial Award: Elizabeth Yoon
- Community Sport Administrator Excellence Award: Paul Hetherington
- Excellence in Program Development Award: Tammy Thomas
For more photos from the annual banquet, visit the Volleyball BC Facebook page.
To learn more about our Volleyball BC Hall of Fame and Excellence Awards, Hall of Fame page.