Volleyball BC Year in Review
2012 was a very successful year for Volleyball BC. A new strategic plan was implemented at the beginning of the year that gives a clear vision of where the organization is headed for the next four years. This direction was created through the input from the membership, staff, and board of directors. Thanks to everyone who contributed! Volleyball BC strives to continually improve and requires your feedback to do this. Feedback is encouraged and welcomed at any time and can be sent to email@example.com.
In 2012, Volleyball BC celebrated the following successes:
- Hosted an extremely successful Beach National Championships (check out the highlight video)
- Won 24 out of a possible 48 medals at the Beach National Championships!
- Successful bid to host the 2013 NORCECA Continental Championships (Men’s Senior National Team) on September 23-28, 2013 in Langley in partnership with Volleyball Canada and the Langley Events Centre
- Reinstatement of organizational committees and ongoing work done through these committees
- Hosting partnership with Langley Events Centre to deliver the U23 NORCECA Pan Am Championships
- Creation of the First Annual Charity Event to benefit Canuck Place Hospice
- Improved image and reputation in the sport sector, BC volleyball community, and Canadian volleyball community
- Organizational Review to align with Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) and Long-term Athlete Development (LTAD)
- Contract extension with the Burnaby Velodrome Club
- Strong financial year
Under new leadership, Volleyball BC continues to make changes to how the organization operates as well as to the programs and events offered. The organization’s strategic plan, mission, vision, core values, and the Canadian Sport for Life model are all taken into consideration when making decisions for the organization.
In order to build for the future, coaching and grassroots development continue to be priority areas for the organization. The staff has achieved their targets within these areas and continues to work on delivering more and more programs across the province. The goal is to help develop more coaches for club and high school volleyball programs as well as getting more athletes involved in the sport at an earlier age through Atomic programs. Ideally, both of these initiatives will help spur on growth of the sport in BC.
A special thank you to all of the board of directors who volunteered countless hours to the organization. Rob Chioccarello, Chris Roine, and Dan Drezet have all served their terms and have stepped down. All three have greatly contributed to the organization! Taking their places on the board will be Thomas Jones as the new President, Jen Riley as the new Athlete Representative, and Boris Tyzuk as a member at large. The three new board members are joined by current members Howard Hum, Rick Bevis, Kelly Latzel, and Tom Oxland. Each board member brings a different skill set and expertise that is utilized to help guide the organization. Volleyball BC is very lucky to have such great people involved with the organization!
With a clear vision of where the organization is headed, 2013 looks to be another amazing year. The organization is hosting the 14U Western Canadian Championships May 10-12, Beach National Championships August 23-25, and the NORCECA Continental Championships Sept 23-28 in addition to the regular programming that is currently offered. This will make for a busy, but exciting year that the staff is extremely happy to be offering to our members!!!