There are several resources that are helpful for beginning referees. Below you will find information on mandatory Criminal Record Checks, Rules, Uniforms, Current official pay rates, External Course Credit, and more.
Criminal Record Checks
As of 2014, all referees are required to complete a Criminal Record Check (renewable every 5 years) and a screening disclosure form (renewable every year). Referees that will be exempt from completing a criminal record check will be: people under the age of 19, current valid teachers, or professions required under the Criminal Records Review Act (proof is required for all). Click here to see the governing bodies under the Criminal Records Review Act.
If you are not exempt you may obtain a Criminal Record Check via:
- Local RCMP or Municipal Police Department
- My Back Check – http://backcheck.net/volleyballbc/
Screening Disclosure Form
Rules / Guidelines
- 2016-17 Guidelines (electronic version – PDF). Click here
- 2016-17 FIVB Casebook – Click Here
- FIVB Multimedia Learning Tool – http://www.fivb.org/EN/Refereeing-Rules/MultimediaReferees.asp
- The Rules R – New volleyball official rules quiz app! – http://app.therulesr.com/
- Quick Sub Rule (YouTube Video)
- Volleyball Canada FAQ’s 2016
- Policies & Procedures Manual 2016
- TRIPLEBALL RULES
Referee Uniform & Equipment
Volleyball Canada Referee Uniform
Volleyball BC has a small stock of Volleyball Canada Referee Uniforms at Harry Jerome Sports Centre. For more information regarding uniforms purchasing, ordering and/or fittings, please contact Glenn Wheatley
**Please note that pick up/purchase of uniforms must be arranged in advance**
We carry referee shirts and pants for both men and women. The sizes we carry are listed below: Women’s & Men’s shirts – S, M, L, XL Women’s pants: 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40 Men’s pants: 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40 **Some sizes are limited
Uniforms can also be purchased through Volleyball Canada HERE. Their site includes referee uniforms (shirt & pants), jackets, starter packs, rulebooks, cards, whistles
For details on how to place a bulk order please email: email@example.com.
Please contact Just Volleyball to purchase line flags, warning cards, hand pump, air pressure gauge, net chain, whistle, etc.
**Please note – Volleyball BC does NOT sell any more referee equipment aside from a selective stock of uniforms. For all whistles, rulebooks, ball pumps, pins, flags, cards see above to where you can now purchase.
Clinic & Allocation Paperwork
External Course Credit
Volleyball BC Referees are eligible to receive External Course Credit for Referees 11 (4 credits) as a Local Referee and Referees 12 (4 credits) as a Provincial Referee. For each of the Course Credits 50 hours must be officiated.
For more information please click here.
These links are for the 2014/15 season
- PACWEST Playing Regulations – Click here
- Playing Regulations Summary – Click here
- Paddle Clarification
- Referees are to ensure that the substitution paddle box remains between the coach and assistant coach chairs, near the substitution zone, during the match. As long as the paddle box remains between the first and second chairs on the bench, and the paddles are there at the conclusion of each set, there is no problem if the paddles are in the players possession in the warm up area. The Referees will ensure that the paddles are in the correct order at the start of each set, but the coach and team take responsibility during the set if they remove the paddles from the box. If a team can not find the appropriate numbered paddle to make a substitution, the Referees are instructed not to wait for them to find the paddle nor will the Referees allow the substitution to be made without the appropriate paddle.
- Ipad Clarification:
- An ipad on a tripod in the warm up area would not be allowed since it creates a risk to the athletes. A handheld ipad on the bench would be allowed as long as the VC rules pertaining to bench members are followed.
- Screening Guidelines – Click here
Financial Assistance Request Form
This form is to be used when requesting funds from the Regional Development Fund and/or the ROC Advisory Committee Fund.
Click here to go to the Volleyball Canada website to be re-directed to the Indoor Scoreheet PowerPoint slideshow.
TRIPLE BALL Scoresheet Tutorial with Fair Play (powerpoint). Click Here.
Electronic Transfer Payment Form
All payments from Volleyball BC are now administered electronically via direct deposit. Click Here to download form.
Membership Fees 2016-2017
L1 (Local) $57+GST = $59.85
L2 (Provincial) $62+GST = $65.10
L3 (Regional) $102+GST = $107.10
L4 (National) $122+GST = $128.10
L5 (International) $137+GST = $143.85