- This event has passed.
Jim Clive Cup
- Date: June 16th 2018 - June 17th 2018
- Time: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Location: Kits Beach
Registration Opens – April 16th, 2018
The Jim Clive Cup is a 2-on-2 beach volleyball tournament that takes play in June at Kits Beach in Vancouver, B.C. This tournament features both Amateur and Pro Divisions.
Pioneer and ambassador for beach volleyball, James “Jim” Clive is credited for bringing the sport to BC in 1978 and he has worked tirelessly to grow the discipline ever since. Athlete, mentor, coach, coordinator, and advocate, Jim was instrumental in installing the first permanent beach court posts in Vancouver. He also founded the Kits Beach Volleyball Association (KBVA) to ensure there was an organization in place to continue growing the sport. Thanks to Jim’s dedication, the popularity of beach volleyball has flourished and Kitsilano Beach is now a training ground for up and coming beach volleyball athletes.
This event is part of the Volleyball BC Pro Beach Tour. (PLEASE VISIT FOR ALL RESULTS AND VIDEOS)
VBC Tournament Series - Important Information
- Teams must register by 12:00pm (noon) the Monday before a tournament. This is a strict deadline.
- All tournaments will be capped at 32 teams. This will be based on participation points (See Tournament Format below).
- If there are more than the maximum* number of teams registered, the teams with the lowest participation points will be bumped into the corresponding amateur tournament.
- You would be notified of this on Monday afternoon after the 12:00pm (noon) registration deadline. You would receive a partial refund for the difference in price as pro tournaments cost more than amateur tournaments.
- Partners can be changed until the Monday 12:00pm (noon) registration deadline. To change your partner, update your team name online.
- After the tournament deadline, it will cost $25.00 to change your partner and an email must be sent to email@example.com to request a partner switch with the following information:
- Reason for switch
- Original partner name (first & last)
- New partner name (first & last)
- Pro Series events will consist of AAA & AA divisions and Amateur Series events will consist of A & B divisions.
- Placement into each division (AAA or AA / A or B) will be based on participation points. Once in a division, teams will be re-ranked based on average finish. Participation points are as follows:
- AAA (1st-16th) 16
- AA (17th & lower) 8
- A (1st-16th) 4
- B (17th & lower) 2
- Please note that AAA players are not permitted to participate in Amateur Series events, no matter who their partner is.
- Once in a division, teams will be re-seeded based on the following criteria:
- Total ranking points (average finishes) from the last year (2017) and the current year (2018). In the case of a tie, more weight will be placed on the most recent event.
- Subjective seeding (Volleyball BC Players Committee). Volleyball BC reserves the right to make final decisions on seeding.
- Teams can apply for a wildcard berth. Wildcard applications will be accepted and approved throughout the tournament registration process, up until the Monday 12:00pm (noon) deadline.
- Please email your wildcard application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Reason for wildcard application
- Beach volleyball experience (both partners)
- Indoor volleyball experience (both partners)
- The VBC Player’s Committee will discuss all applications and approve deserving Wild Cards as needed.
- Teams may withdraw prior to the Monday 12:00pm (noon) registration deadline minus a $25.00 admin fee. Notification of a cancellation must be sent to email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of both teammates (first & last)
- Tournament Date
- Name for the refund cheque & mailing address
- If a team requests a refund because they were bumped to an amateur event, they will not be charged the admin fee.