harry jerome sports centre
The Harry Jerome Sports Center is a 53,000 sf sports facility located in Burnaby, BC. (20 mins from Downtown Vancouver).
It is the primary programming location for many volleyball & other sporting events as well as the home of the Volleyball BC offices.
Looking for a venue for your upcoming tournament or event? The HJSC can be rented by the court/hour or as a facility!
Dec 2 – Public Health Order update
Today, the Province of BC have added additional restrictions for sport with the intention to limit the risk of COVID-19 transmission from indoor group activities.
The public health order and provincial website have not yet been updated, however we have received the joint announcement made today:
“All indoor adult team sport is also prohibited. This includes basketball, cheerleading, combat sports, martial arts, floor hockey, floor ringette, ice hockey, ringette, netball, skating, soccer, squash and volleyball.
Structured child and youth programs and sport are permitted, but must meet and follow the ViaSport Phase 2 requirements.”
For volleyball this means that:
– All adult indoor volleyball is prohibited
– All youth volleyball programming is permitted but must meet Volleyball BC’s Transition Measures (Phase 2) in the Return to Play Plan which include the following requirements:
– Activities must be limited to skills development and those that permit physical distancing at all times (eg. individual serving, passing, attacking practice)
– No competitive volleyball as this does not permit social distancing.
– Participants must maintain social distancing at all times on and off the court.
– There must be no more than 6 individuals per court (3 per side).
– No blocking at the net.
– For all Transition Measure requirements see Appendix 2 of our Return to Volleyball Plan
– All games and competitions are suspended until further notice.
As a reminder, the following requirements are also still in place:
– There can be no spectators at any sport activities. The only people allowed to attend sport activities are those that provide care to a participant or player. For example, providing first aid.
– Non-essential travel should be restricted. Travel to, from and between communities for team athletic activities is prohibited.
– Masks are now required for everyone in all indoor public settings, including recreation centres. During this order, please follow all facility protocols about the use of masks. We also strongly recommend that coaches, referees, and staff/volunteers wear a mask at all times and that players wear masks at all times to and from the court.
We are expecting additional information and guidance from viaSport BC once the provincial website is updated and the written order is released. Please check back for updated information.
Moving forward - all rentals will be ' payment due morning-of '. - We will continue to accept bookings and have groups complete a contract. - Payment will be due by noon the day of the rental. The link for payment will be provided in the contract/confirmation email.
As of Dec 4, the upcoming court availability at HJSC is as follows: Note that this list may change at any time.
VBC has suspended all adult rentals until Christmas or until the Health Authority allows adult indoor sports. Please check back for updates
Christmas Break Rentals for Youth Training Only Mon, Dec 28 - 7-9pm Wed, Dec 30 - 7-9pm January 2021 availability will be posted soon.
Rates 2 hr rental blocks - $150/ 2 hrs unless otherwise noted
Please email email@example.com to inquire about availability. All rental requests must be made by email.
Contracts will be emailed and must be signed and returned in advance to confirm the booking. Cancellations within 72 hours will receive 50% of the rental as credit towards a future booking. Cancellations made within 24 hours will not be refunded.
Rentals must be made by email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review all information below regarding COVID-19 protocols and updated facility procedures.
Along with your contract, we will email you a copy of the waiver to distribute to your participants to review in advance. Waivers for for review only. All participants will be asked to complete a waiver and health declaration when they arrive .
Reminder – as per the rental agreement – all rental groups must exit the facility within 10 minutes of the booking end time to allow for facility cleaning or subsequent rentals. Groups that do not adhere to ending times will not be welcome back7-9
- Physical distancing of 2 meters must be practiced at all times on and off the court.
- Please bring your own volleyballs. HJSC will not be lending balls for use by rental groups at this time.
- At this time there is no blocking at the net.
To maintain occupancy limits, only individuals involved in an activity will be permitted inside HJSC.
The current maximum capacity for the HJSC is 120 individuals.
Spectators are not permitted. (Parents/guardians may escort their child inside for drop off/pick up only, providing that it does not compromise occupancy limits).
- Please limit the amount of personal belongings brought into HJSC.
- You will be advised where to place your belongings in the facility.
- There must be no sharing of water bottles, towels or other personal items.
General Hygiene Considerations
- Guests should wash their hands before and immediately following activities.
- Guests should avoid touching one’s face throughout activities.
- Guests should cover their mouth and nose with a tissue when they cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash their hands, or sneeze/cough into their elbow.
Guests should consider wearing a mask and gloves
Common Areas and Services
- Please follow all signage, markers and directions when inside HJSC.
- There is no access to the spectator seating, vending machine or changerooms at this time.
- Please respect the occupancy limits posted at the washrooms.
Payment will be online, by phone or contactless. Cash payment is not permitted at this time.
1. Collect your belongings and leave the court area, following the directional signage.
2. Please keep track of the time and be prompt in leaving the court so that we can clean it between sessions. As per the rental agreement, all participants must be off the court within 10 minutes of the ending time.
3. Do not socialise or congregate in HJSC or in the parking lot so that other guests are able to safely enjoy their sessions.
If guests do not adhere to these rules and protocols, they will be asked to leave HJSC.
Any violation of these rules may result in forfeit of the rental with no refund.
**THERE WILL BE NO DROP-IN AT HJSC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE**
View the dropin schedule and rules here
The Harry Jerome Sports Centre is the large white dome located at 7564 Barnet Highway in North Burnaby, approximately 1.5km east of the Hastings St. turn off to Simon Fraser University. Map here
Parking – view parking instructions here
During large events (January – April), the HSJC parking lot has controlled/paid parking. Please see attendants when you arrive and park only in assigned/ designated spaces. Vehicles improperly parked will be removed.
Additional overflow parking is 1km east at Barnet Park.
*NOTE – Do not block or park in the roundabout or on the highway. Observe all parking signage. Violators will be ticketed by the City and towed.*
There is no regular concession at the HJSC. Please inquire with the tournament director for details regarding a specific weekend. A number of restaurants are within close proximity – most located at Kensington Square (just up the Barnet on Hastings Street).
The HJSC hosts thousands of visitors each week. Contact the Facility Manager for more information on having signage up within the facility.
A SPECIAL NOTE:
It is important that all individuals understand that when you choose to participate in physical activities outside the home during the pandemic you are at an increased risk of contracting COVID-19. This is an inherent risk of participating in non-essential activities in your community.
There may be other user groups at HJSC during your visit which may increase your risk
of contracting COVID-19. All guests should know the common symptoms of COVID-19 and stay away if displaying symptoms.
Guests who are over 65 years, immuno-compromised, or who have underlying health conditions are deemed to be higher risk. Underlying health conditions include hypertension, diabetes, COPD/asthma, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and higher thromboembolism risk. Volleyball is not recommended for these individuals. Those who live with high-risk individuals should consider their participation carefully.