Volleyball BC held their fourth annual Hall of Fame Banquet and Excellence Awards this past Saturday night at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown.
Roughly 200 people were in attendance to remember past greats of our sport and celebrate the current accomplishments of some of our community’s best and brightest stars.
Memorable events from the Hall of Fame speeches included:
- John Campbell sharing his secrets to winning seven consecutive BC High School Championships: having solid fundamentals and being a physically fit team
- Kent Andrews sharing his journey from the town of Powell River, B.C. to the gym at UVic and the origin of his nickname: “Honey Bear”
- Mary Macdonald sharing her story about how her volleyball career started and took her from Toronto to Vancouver to play with the Vancouver Alums
- Greg Russell sharing his insights on how he got to the Volleyball BC Hall of Fame: height and hard work!
- Marilyn Pomfret reminded everyone about the original BC Volleyball Association and how looking at the past is a good measuring stick to judge where your future is heading
- Gary McWilliam sharing his experience with the legendary Karch Kiraly during his International refereeing days
- The 1966-67 UBC Men’s Team payed tribute to their legendary coach, Eric Lessman
All photos from this memorable night can be found HERE.
Hall of Fame Intro Videos and Speeches
1966-67 UBC Men’s Team
2017 Excellence Award Winners